The National Service Scheme (NSS)
The National Service Scheme (NSS) is a Central Sector Scheme of Government of India, Ministry of Youth affairs & sports; it offers opportunities and training in service to the community and the nation for students with an aptitude. It is intended to involve the college students in a variety of social service and developmental activities concomitantly with the normal academic program. The motto of the scheme is “Education through Community Service.
Our college is a small college located in rural area, currently our college has only one NSS unit, a total of 60 students enrolled in our college unit. There were more students eager to join NSS, so the college mulls to bring one more unit with cooperation of University of Calcutta. The aims of our college NSS unit are as below:
- Instilling the motto “NOT ME BUT YOU” in volunteers and students.
- Fostering the spirit of selfless service to all human beings in distress, poverty and ignorance.
- Capacity building to identify and study community problems, to plan and to carry out welfare projects as a team.
- A willingness to share the benefits of modern higher education with all people who did not get this benefit.
- Make the society better to live in.
There are other goals as well which are stipulated in the manual of NSS. Keeping in mind these goals, our college unit conducts various service program, like cleanliness drive, (Swatchh Abhiyan) in college campus and nearby villages, save girl child campaign, tree plantation drive, adult education, blood donation camp, Thalassemia screening camp, dental check up camp, community outreach program, community welfare, socio- economic survey etc. NSS unit also observes Republic Day, Independence Day and seven day special camp. As we observe also major international days to create awareness among students about different issues related to these days. We also plan to organize workshops, seminars and conferences. These all programs are conducted under the supervision of a program officer who is supported by NSS advisory committee.